Vitamin D is a supplement that helps the body absorb calcium and phosphorus, two minerals which are important for keeping strong bones. Our body can produce its own vitamin D by exposure to sunlight, but considering that modern life is keeping us indoors most of the time and away from direct and long sunlight exposure which is needed for Vitamin D production, it is best to get it by a supplement.
What not many people know is that the best way to obtain the benefits of vitamin D is by combining it with K2, another vitamin. When both are together, they maximize the benefits of each one and improve your overall health. In this article, we are going to explain to you why you should start taking a vitamin D3&K2 supplement.
What is Vitamin D3?
Vitamin D3, also known as cholecalciferol, not only is formed by the body from sun exposure but also comes from animal source foods such as liver, fish oil, egg yolk, and butter. Vitamin D3 has a higher quality and more ability to raise vitamin D levels than vitamin D2, this one is more prone to degradation due to humidity and fluctuations in temperature which means it won't last as long as vitamin D3.
What is Vitamin K2?
Vitamin K2, also known as menaquinone, is part of the vitamin K family and it can be found in animal foods and fermented foods. It can be divided into several types, including MK-4 and MK-7. Just like vitamin D3, vitamin K2 plays an important role in the metabolism of calcium. Although it isn't as popular as vitamin D3, it can provide several benefits to health and you usually can't get enough of it from the diet, so it is better to get it by a supplement.
How Vitamin D3 and K2 Work Together?
Vitamin D3 works with K2 to improve your bone and heart health. Both ensure that the calcium is well absorbed in your body and can easily reach the bone mass while preventing arterial calcification.
Vitamin D3 is in charge of helping the body absorb enough amount of calcium, and one of the subtypes of vitamin K2 (MK-7) activates a protein called osteocalcin which integrates calcium into the bone. the osteocalcin needs to be carboxylated before the calcium gets into the bone and this process is vitamin-k dependant. Both have a synergic action that allows the proper absorption and use of calcium. When there isn't enough amount of vitamin K2 in the body to carboxylate osteocalcin, the calcium won't be delivered to the bones and it can build-up in the arteries.
The best part is that they make sure calcium is used where most needed and prevents the accumulation in certain body parts. For example, the subtype of vitamin K2, MK-7 activates the matrix GLA protein (MPG) which is going to get rid of excess calcium in arteries, to prevent the formation of calcium plaque in the arteries and promote the flexibility of your vascular system.
Benefits of Vitamin D3 and K2
- Supports bone health by making sure your body absorbs enough amount of calcium.
- Prevents the build-up of calcium in your arteries.
- Boost Immune system, vitamin D stimulates the proteins of white blood cells and enhances the functions of immune cells such as macrophages that help to protect your body against infections. Low levels of vitamin D are linked to a higher risk of respiratory infections such as asthma, tuberculosis, fights the flu, and other viral or bacterial infections such as covid19.
- Better athletic performance, it will increase your muscle growth, strength, and endurance. It also boosts weight loss so it is a great choice for athletes.
- Vitamin K2 normalizes blood glucose and supports normal blood sugar metabolism.
- Improve your mental health, low levels of vitamin D are linked to a higher risk of anxiety and depression. Since high blood sugar levels are linked to a higher risk of anxiety and depression, vitamin K2 improves your mood and reduces the risk of developing mental health conditions.
Both are like the perfect team, they help each other and maximize their benefits. If you want to support bone health, boost your immune system, get a lower risk of respiratory infections, improve your mental health, and feel better, start taking vitamin D3 & K2.